Friday 4 April 2008

Have to see what's happening in the world

My Dad always made me watch the news when I was a kid, there was no Neighbours or Home and Away (for which I feel eternally grateful now) and when I asked why he said 'Because we have to see what's happening in the world.'
I am sure we would have watched nine news, and honestly cannot remember the quality of the news but wonder if it is of the same substance now.
Ninemsn headlines currently include; (as of this very current moment)
Naomi Campbell spitting on a police officer seems to have made top billing top story, and yet Zimbabwe finally ousting Robert Mugabe after 28 years of callous and officious ruling seems to have made no dent.
Seems that Mugabe finally unable to cheat his way back into Parliament isn't exciting enough for them... maybe I am being to hard on them? Maybe it was yesterday's story?
Yes, they seem to have run one story yesterday... Mugabe to fight to the last and another buried in today's news Mugabe should have quit long ago: Fraser which seems to be whoring itself as a news article everywhere because it features in thewest.com.au, news.com.au, smh.com.au, theaustralian.com.au, Yahoo, Primus and Google news.


Well a little bit of genuine international news is obviously too much to ask for... guess I'm going to have to start watching the 7.30 report on ABC1 or something.

4 memos sent:

Dataceptionist said...

I have found the online news sites aren't neccessarily the best place to determine "top billing" because they change every few minutes. Eg, Zimbabwe's polling was top story on Tuesday when it all started, but for online news sites, its already old news, happened days ago so they only do the updates.
And then the "top 10" stories of the day are usually
1. "dog gives birth to canary"
2. "Carey hates himself for "glassing" girlfriend"
3. "Rudd to make new public holdiays - We hate Johnny day, 8th November"

Anonymous said...

LOL yes that is true, it's just so stupid and maddening isn't it!

Anonymous said...

I got in trouble for trying to watch BBC News on foxtel :P Apparently international news isn't the thing to watch in our house :( Probably more the norm. I remember when the president of Chechnya was asassinated at a sports game a few years ago and all the media coverage it apparently warranted was an article smaller than your run of the mill column 8 snippet. I know it's not everyone's area of interest or expertise but COME ON people! It's not every single day there's an asassination, couple of minutes of reseach would have been nice...

Dataceptionist said...

Probably more the norm

This line confuses me. I think there are words missing.

Yes I often wish we had FOX or BBC news accessible so I knew more about the world.