Saturday 29 March 2008

Life as a Scarf lover

Going into cooler weather I get excited at the plethora of new scarves proliferating the markets.
I bought a new scarf today :)
A light autumnal transitional scarf in pink and black check. Flipping through the masses of folded coloured scarves I came to just the right shade of pink, took it to the counter and purchased.

Get home, depackage scarf to reveal it is a 'desert scarf' or
Shemagh - I have inadvertently bought something trendy!! Oh no, I feel the immediate need to don my (non-existent) skinny jeans and walk around looking sullen, or morph into an aged Arab man or Che Guevara. It's not trying to look cool if I didn't realise RIGHT?
Trendoid factor aside, I didn't realise the symbolism of the item. The shemagh or keffiyeh is something of a symbol of Palestinian solidarity (which I don't have a problem with, lots of good people have come from Palestine) and Wikipedia have this to add;
As with other articles of clothing worn in wartime, such as the T-shirt and khaki pants, the keffiyeh has been seen as chic among non-Arabs in the West, who may be uninterested in politics, the military, or both.
Well bother it... I just like it, is that okay?

4 memos sent:

Dataceptionist said...

Hmm I'm confused, do you wear it like in the picture? Its a bit "Indiana Jones" for me

Anonymous said...

LOL well yes if possible... and look pensive

Mine is pink hehehe

Have you not seen?

Dataceptionist said...

on you? Or ever?
No and No

.:.:. Reanan .:.:. said...

LOL yes at all