Tuesday 3 June 2008

Life as a PRI'er

Last year on my nefarious Thailand voyage my compatriots and I met many characters, one of which, was 'Big Luke'.
Big Luke and his travelling companion 'Blossom' were staying in our hotel, for want of a better word, when BL introduced us to the PRI.
After a rowdy night out, Big Luke was lounging in pain and suffering by the pool where we noticed a large, bruised wound on his leg – when questioned about it, he shrugged it off, and pronounced it a 'P.R.I', a Piss Related Injury which he had little to no memory of happening in his drunken stupor.

Like hangovers, minor PRI's attract little sympathy, a bruise here, a cut there – sustaining a large enough injury can arouse concern, much like our travelling buddy who came home one morning with what the locals call a "Thai Kiss."
The Thai Kiss (TK), isn't a fruit cocktail (which if you're smart you drink anyway) but rather a burn on the inside of your ankle obtained from a motorbike exhaust.
A PRTK is especially bad, as alcohol numbs your senses just enough to prolong the burn and worsen the situation. Suddenly the mini first aid kit I bought along with my wasn't so hilarious any more.
Unfortunately my PRI was far less ceremonious and involved my foot, a platformed heel and a mob on Sydney streets, where paying attention is clearly out of the question.
I'm left with a boring toned down story about tripping in the city, and an ENORMOUS bruise darkening happily.

2 memos sent:

Dataceptionist said...

I have a friend that works as a nurse in the emergency dept at a Sydney hospital, and they have "code" for drunken accidents, PFO's: Pissed Fell Over.
She had a PFO of her own, split her chin open, and she was too embarrassed to go to the hospital she works in.

Anonymous said...

LOL PFO isnt as witty as PRI

Embarrasing though! You think you'd want someone you know treating your PFO.