Wednesday 11 February 2009

Interesting

I find cemetaries, particularly old ones very fascinating. Nothing ghouhish, just the artistry of the headstones and some of the epitaphs.

I got to visit one of the oldest cemetaries in Sydney on Australia Day, a site where some of the first settlers were buried after they settled out in Castlereagh, Old Castlereagh cemetery apprently dates back to 1814.

One of them has this written on it;

Now she's gone, we'd not recall her
From a paradise of bliss
Where no evil can befall her
To a changing world like this


2 memos sent:

K said...

Oh me too! I love cemetaries. I thin i've posted some of my photos before.

There are some awesomely interesting cemetaries if you like headstone reading over beauty in WA - in the gold-mining era it appears to have been the in thing to inscribe the reason/manner of death. Fascinating stuff.

I'm going to make sure my headstone is detailed that way. I'm always interested to know.

.:.:. Reanan .:.:. said...

Yeah I think you have, I was sure it was you who 'liked' (if thats the correct word?) them also.

A different era isn't it? Its like we've lost a way to honour people.