Sunday 24 February 2008

Life as a Fan

EVERYBODY, BACKSTREET'S BACK ALRIGHT!!
*SIGH* As the (now) four boys pelted out thier cheesy yet classic hits from the soundtrack of my youth I screamed like a giddy school girl, while they DANCED around the stage - who knew choreographed moves were still in?
The faces were still familiar, Howie Dorough belted out his latest solo effort a salsa-esque nod to his heritage, looking the best out of all four Brian Littrell peddled his earnest country song about the brevity of life, a slightly plump Nick Carter still trying to hold onto the last screeds of boyhood played his drums and guitar like a rockstar and A.J McClean aka Johnny No Name (I'm being serious here) looking like a badly groomed poor man's Dave Navarro hip pumped his way through his single Driveby.
I hate it when bands you've been listening to for 10years do nothing but play the new album, but BSB played a nice little mix of hits of old and even did the dance from the Everybody film clip sans the funky costumes :(
I couldn't help having hysterics everytime they played out some contrived choreographed dance routine, these are men in thier 30's (except Nick who's 28) surely they should be allowed to keep the last shreds of dignity and not dance around like fools... but this brings forward another problem, the fact that they play none of thier own music and therefore would be standing around like tools so in lieu of standing around like tools they danced around like tools.
But for all my pessemistic critisusm, I still had a blast when they played the old school pop power ballads. They never had any embarrassing Ashley Simpson lip syncing problems (owing to the fact that they actually sing), and still manage to harmonise possibly with a deeper resonance than before so they don't need to rely on the barrotone element that Kevin (who left to have a family after his father passed away) used to provide.
All in all a top gig, even if a little girly nerdy and proves to me that even though my music tastes have changed I can still appreciate glimpsing backward.


ps; I did post the video for Everybody here but something went wrong and it was not letting my comments be viewed... weird.

4 memos sent:

Dataceptionist said...

Hahahaha, I do think I would have enjoyed that concert. But even after your stunning review, I still don't think it would have been worth the money. LOL
Will you see NKOTB?

.:.:. Reanan .:.:. said...

LOL Well I did enjoy it, and considering I have paid 130 for a ticket for a concert in the nosebleed section I thought 80 bucks was reasonable for a seat which found me sitting near Brian McFadden (which if I gave a shit about him would have thrilled me no end) and close enough I could count the wrinkles on thier faces.

.:.:. Reanan .:.:. said...

PS; I WILL NOT, under ANY circumstances be seeing NKOTB.
Yark lol.

If Marky Mark does a revival tour in his calvin kliens I am so there though!

Dataceptionist said...

Hahahaha if Marky Mark does a revival I'll take all my clothes off and walk down Broadway.
Then I'll kill myself.